Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Job

Reading the Bible chronologically- according the some research on the internet- now leads me to Job. In the past two days I've read Job 1- 9. My favorite passage in all of the Bible is in Job- so I am excited to read the whole book again! Here are my thoughts from my reading...

Job 1:20-22- Job- in one day has his 500 yoke of oxen, 500 donkeys, 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 7 sons, and 3 daughters all taken away from him in very tragic ways. As soon as he got all of the news dropped on him-his immediate response was this: "At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in WORSHIP and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised." In all this, Job DID NOT SIN by charging God with wrongdoing." UNBELIEVABLE! Immediately he fell to ground in worship- not complaint or questioning. WORSHIP! I can't get over this. And in all he did not sin. I am so sad to say that in all of my minimal disappointments in my life I have NEVER responded in this way. Jobs reaction shows me that he understood God's plan and glory above his own. Wow.

Job 1:10- Job's wife tells him to curse God and die after he is inflicted with sores all over his body. His response is, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said." This is getting CRAZY! Still no sin in all the things he said! My mouth is too loose- I long for this control of my mind and tongue! I have been thinking a lot lately about this statement that he said- shall we accept good from God and not trouble? We want only "good" blessings and no suffering in our American Christian society. Job realized both are part of the plan. I don't want to be the foolish speaking wife- I've been so close so often. What a harsh embarrassing rebuke.

Job 4:3-4- Job's friend Eliphaz speaks of Job and his character and reputation. It is so awesome! "Think how you have instructed many, how you have strengthened feeble hands. Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering knees." The friend that Job was is a friend that I want to be.

Job 4:17- "Blessed is the man who God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty." A good reminder. correction and discipline is not something I should try to avoid. It is a blessing.

Job 7:17-19- Job is talking to God. I love the intimacy that it reveals to us that God has for us. "What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment? Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant?" I am thankful for a God who cares about me because it pleases Him- not a God that I have to bribe and appease so that He would care about me. He cared about me before the beginning of time. I am thankful that He is mine and I am His.

Something encouraging I read and prayed for concerning Jamaica today was this:
"With the most evangelicals and the best-resourced churches in the Caribbean, Jamaica can and should be a spiritual leader in the region for evangelism and mission, training and unity."
It is encouraging to know that there are countries with the potential to be hugely influential in the spread of God's name. Pray that they would use their resources for the maximum kingdom pay out!

The highlight of my day is that my best friend and roommate from college is having her first baby today. I actually just got a text that the baby was born 15 minutes ago. They had decided not to find out if they were having a boy or a girl- and I still don't know which it is! I'm so so so very excited. I can't wait to go visit her and to meet her sweet little baby. AND to get some quality BFF time. :) I hope everyone has had a wonderful Sunday. I am so grateful each Sunday as I sit in my church that I am under the teaching of people that don't bend the Bible to what people want to hear- but that they teach what God wants us to live. I would rather be held to God's standard on this earth than to be held to this earth's standard and be shocked for the rest of eternity when what I thought life was about doesn't hold up before the maker of everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment